Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 5: No dog pee. No nuthin. (So far.)

And it's Day 5. Which I just quickly counted off on my fingers to be certain -- yep! Day 5!

What have I done for Day 5? Nothing yet. What was I supposed to have done? Hmm, that's up for debate. Since Day 5 isn't over yet. So neener.

Seriously tho, this particular Day 5 is for cross training. I say "this particular" because my schedule will be changing up next week. But for now, today is cross training. My original plan was to do some bellydancing exercises, in preparation for the class I'm taking at the end of the month. Some time yesterday, pitiful dog glances and pouts changed it to taking the dogs for a long walk in the morning for cross training day. Some time in my sleep that changed to taking the dogs for a long walk after work for cross training day.

So that's still the plan. I've mentioned before I have chronic insomnia, and all week I've been taking Tylenol PM so I could get to sleep in order to get up early in order to run. It worked for the sleeping part, but also left me somewhat hungover during the days. I decided last night to try sleeping au naturel -- not nude but rather without pharmaceutical assistance. It worked pretty well; I was in bed by 9:30, I fell asleep shortly thereafter and I slept through the night. With my insomnia, I either can't fall asleep for hours or I sleep lightly and then don't feel rested, or both. So when 6:00 a.m. rolled around and the alarms started going off, I decided the dogs would enjoy an evening walk much, much more and I set the alarms ahead an hour and got a bit more sleep.

Taking them out 12 hours later also cuts down on the amount of soaking wet dog and dirty muddy paws I would have had to deal with. They love to roll in the grass at the park. At 6:30 a.m., this grass would be sopping wet and soon so would they. By this evening, it will be a lot drier.

So, so far I'm still on schedule. Tomorrow is a rest day. Yay! I really need to ice my shins tonight and tomorrow. I'm feeling a few twinges in both shins. By the way, if you have shin splints, try FitFlops. I have very flat feet and started getting shin splints with my first pair of (not so great) running shoes. I got a much better pair of shoes (same brand -- New Balance -- but much better support) and also added insoles. Under the existing insoles. Yes, I know typically you replace the insoles that come with the shoes, but I tried that and it made no difference between the purchased insoles and the shoe's insoles. Mine are extra built up and they made a huge amount of difference for my shins. Anyhow, FitFlops are supposed to work and slim your legs and bum when you wear them. I'm guessing they're doing that, but what I really like is they make my legs feel better. I'll have tired and sore legs and put these on and by the end of the work day nearly all the ache is gone.

Plus, Oprah wears them.

As for the rest of me, so far so good. I plan to stay that way.

Cheers,
the CilleyGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment