Wednesday, April 14, 2010

More happy thoughts

I am diligently working myself out of this bad mood.  Which reminds me -- I've left a few notes with other bloggers who are racing Eugene about meeting up.  Don't be afraid!!  I fully expect to be past all homicidal impulses by Eugene.  Plus I actually like you people.  Makes your mortality rate just skyrocket around me ;) 

I would like to get a chance to meet some more of the blogging community.  I thought a great place to do that would be at the pasta dinner the night before the race, so if anyone reading this plans to do that (or wants to do that), let me know and we'll make some plans!  (After the race, I plan to be in traction, but if you plan to be in traction too then we can meet then instead.)

I was thinking this morning about something I could do to help germinate a happy mood.  The zoo came to mind, but right after that came the thought of all that humanity (it's supposed to be very nice weather this weekend) so the zoo is out.  Then I thought:  the beach.  I haven't been to the ocean in close to a year.  So I checked the tide tables and yay!  Even the tides coincide with a happy beach day, with low tide around 9:00 a.m. and high tide around 4:00 p.m.  Perfect!!  Usually I would take my dogs along with me, as watching them joyfully play and run on the beach is one of my favorite things ever.  However, dealing with them the entire rest of the trip is not.  Plus Schmart Dog can't really run and play anymore and she would be sad if I made her stay leashed the whole time on the beach so I think I will go solo.  Lots of beachcombing at Rockaway Beach, a scrumptious lunch of slumgullion at Mo's at Tolovanna Beach, some browsing at the Cannon Beach shops, maybe a turn up and down the prom at Seaside.  That should clear out the cobwebs in my Cilley Bwain.

I can't wait!

Cheers,
the CilleyGirl

3 comments:

  1. Posted a big long comment before but it didn't save...GRRRRR! As it is now lost forever I can confidently say it was THE BEST ADVICE EVER WRITTEN. Eloquent. Pithy. Poignant. Super-duper helpful. or maybe that is just how I remember it.

    Or not as the case may be, as I can't seem to re-write it's fabulous brilliance...so I will have to start again but just not as good.

    I understand the whole all consuming but non-specific anger...especially directed at yourself. I have those moments/days/weeks...especially the "what is the point you stupid ugly loser" moments...

    And when I hit the darkest places, the only thing that can wipe the slate clean and help me see things clearly again is the ocean.

    It is not easy for me to get to the ocean in Amsterdam - certainly not as easy as it was in Australia - it takes over an hour of tram/train/trek, but it is worth it each time.

    Go, take time to be with yourself in nature, breathe huge lungfuls of pure salt air and listen to the waves until the silly angry voice goes away.

    I have always said that salt water re-calibrates my soul. I hope it works for you too. My friend (well, more than a friend but that's a long story!) once told me that everything in life can be solved with salt water...either tears, sweat or the ocean. I couldn't agree more.

    Please enjoy the beauty of Cannon Beach (love that place!) and take some pics to make me jealous
    RG
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meeting up in Eugene would be fun. I am coming down with my brother (mastermind of the bread-bunny slaughter) who is running the full and my good friend/co-worker who is running the half and my boyfriend who is our official race photographer. We don't usually do the pre-race pasta but we are creatures of habit and usually go to Steelhead brewing in the early afternoon after the race. I'll touch base and see what everyone is up for. It would be fun to meet some of the bloggy community.

    I hope this weekend recharges you. Don't worry, we have all had those angry, "I hate everything about me and my life" moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RG, I've always felt the same about the ocean. Something about it just fills my soul and soothes my heart. It's about an hour and a half drive away from Portland, but it's not bad and definitely worth it.

    I will take lots of pictures for you! You've had so many beautiful ones up lately I need to catch up and return the favor :)

    ReplyDelete