Thursday, August 5, 2010

Scale Warfare

Today is Day 4 of my 30-day paleo challenge. 


This morning I saw a number on the scale that I haven't seen since the first week in June.  I mean that in a good way (good weigh? thank you -- try the veal!).  Kind of made up for the humongous number I saw on the scale on Monday when I started this.  Best of all, Aunt Flo is scheduled to unpack her bags next week so this (today) is traditionally a time when the scale shifts upwards.  To see it head down made me smile.  A big, naked smile.
 
What, do you weigh yourself when you're dressed?  Man, I even exhale before I step on.
 
Yesterday continued to be a difficult day all the way up to bedtime.  Even despite receiving a free neck and shoulder massage during the office lunch hour (we're lobbying to turn this into a monthly perk), it turned out to be a four-soda day.  The cravings were foremost in my mind, although it's shifted from Arby's to Burger King (double whopper with cheese and bacon -- and take off that lettuce, tomato or onion crap while you're at it -- plus the biggest order of chicken fries they have).  It probably didn't help that in the afternoon I watched a clip of The Today Show where they had the "eat this, not that" guy on with Matt Lauer comparing fast food meals.  I pretty much wanted it all.  Even the "the fat and calories in this KFC meal is equivalent to these 32 chocolate donuts" donuts.  And the waffles.  I'm kind of obsessed with maple syrup right now and I don't know why.  Although I do want it on a rasher of paleo-friendly bacon rather than on no-no pancakes. 
 
Mmmm, bacon.  I started making my weekend shopping list last night.  After diet soda, bacon tops the list.  Follows by shrimp and scallops.  I'm really enjoying having shrimp (or "chrimps" if you're a Birdcage fan) for breakfast with just the tiniest dab of cocktail sauce.  Bacon and shrimp made me think of scallops, so there you go.  Reminds me, I need to add avocado to the list.
 
Day 3's dinner was elk kebabs, roasted cauliflower, and mushrooms.  The elk kebabs were marinated in a bourbon and brown sugar marinade that is done by McCormick & Schmick.  Yum.  I didn't plan to do kebabs.  In fact, they're probably technically not kebabs at all since I didn't add fruit or veggies to the skewers.  I thought I pulled out a package of elk steak to defrost and it turned out to be stew meat so I thought, skewers!  My dogs were lobbying pretty heavily for me to share the elk kebabs.  To the point of some deliberate attempts to trip me in the kitchen.  (They had a coordinated effort going on.) 
 
 
Do I look like I could ever do such a thing?
 
I semi-appeased them with the roasted cauliflower, which who knew dogs liked cauliflower?  I just wanted them otherwise occupied.  But they thought that was da bomb.  It was pretty good; I roasted it with a little walnut oil and some spices until lightly browned and tender.   I didn't share the mushrooms; they're sort of my go-to vegetable since I can't have corn, peas, green beans, beans, or potatos.  Which pretty much represents the only vegetables I ever ate for my first 25 years of life.  Except for maybe some iceberg lettuce.
 
Hmm, I think I need to add mushrooms to my shopping list too.
 
Cheers,
the CilleyGirl

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!! Congrats on the "Good Weigh" ;o)

    By the time Aunt Flo buggers herself off again I am sure it will be even more dramatic and downward in direction on that scale.

    And yes...I am naked, exhaled and evacuated before even looking at the scale...!! hehehe EVERY BIT HELPS

    ReplyDelete