Friday, August 27, 2010

I'm still lousy with it

As I've mentioned, I've been feeling a tad off my game this week.  Dr. Google and I have started to suspect that I was a little too heavy into ketosis this week -- ketosis being the metabolic state resulting from a high protein diet like paleo where you burn fat rather than glucose for energy.  Up to a point, it's okay.  Past that point and you're at risk for kidney problems, organ failure, bad breath, etc.  You know, some serious shit.

Usually the risk is minimal with paleo, because it's not a low carb diet; rather, your carbs come from fruits and veggies rather than grains and starches.  Plus you're typically not 100% paleo all the time; it encourages non-paleo meals and days.  I've been sloppy lately though, as I head into the last few days of my 30 day challenge, and have been eating about 75% of my diet in protein rather than the at least 50-50 mix you want to aim for.  Warning sides that you're going into ketosis include headaches, irritability and kidney issues.  Did I mention I also slacked off on water yesterday? 

So today I'm loading up on electrolytes plus lots of fruit and dinner tonight will be heavy on veggies.  Interestingly enough, there are more carbs in a banana than in romaine lettuce.  I guess that's from the fructose.  And who knows, I could feel lousy because I'm fighting off a cold or a sinus infection, or maybe it's a chick thing with the hormones.  Guess we'll see!

Cheers,
the CilleyGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment