Monday, January 14, 2013

Whole30 Challenge: Day 8

Hello, and welcome to Day 8.

Did you think I had jumped ship on this whole challenge?  I didn't!  But there were some rough days last week and I just did not have the energy to write.

I last wrote on Wednesday (Day 3) and was feeling pretty good.  Thursday, though, was awful:  persistent nausea, dizziness, body aches, confusion, headache, and -- to cap it all off -- cramps in my arms, hands, and legs.  Self-diagnosis:  my blood sugar and electrolytes were in a tizzy.  I ate some dried cherries and cranberries to get me through to the end of the work day then went home and drank orange juice (no sugar added) and had two sweet potatoes with my dinner.  I also popped a couple of the Hammer Endurolyte electrolyte tabs, which had something like rice flour in it but dammit at that point I didn't care because my hand was cramping into this weird claw and clearly Gatorade was out (plus I didn't have any anyways).  I felt a lot better on Friday but took it easy through Saturday, making sure to get plenty of water and high carb vegetables and fruit. 

Coincidentally, Wednesday was the date I'd had blood drawn for my annual checkup.  And wouldn't you know it:  blood sugar up to 135, from last year's number of around 105.  Sodium and chloride were low.  So, blood sugar and electrolytes all out of whack like I thought.  I had my checkup today with the doctor and she took more blood to do two more blood sugar tests to see if it was an anomaly or, you know, diabetes.  Provide that these tests don't show something even worse, I get re-checked in three months.  She approved of the diet change, but emphasized making sure I got plenty of carbs. 

Anyhow, I'm trying to have a high carb vegetable with every meal.  I made this breakfast dish that is diced apples (six) with a can of pumpkin and a can of coconut milk and some cinnamon and nutmeg.  Throw in a crockpot on high for about three hours until the apples are tender.  It looks like toxic baby poo but it tastes pretty good, particularly with a chicken apple sausage on the side.  My lunch had mushrooms in it as well as a side of sweet potato.  For dinner I plan either a salad or broccoli. 

My friend S was up visiting for the weekend, and with her I made my first trip ever to Ikea.  That is quite the store.  I see why they have a restaurant in the middle of it.  Unfortunately, we couldn't find anything Whole30 compliant to eat there.   Next time, I'm bringing snacks.  I also learned that Beaverton has a Penzey spice store.  If you have one of these in your area and you've never been, go!  It was fun getting to sniff all of the spice mixes they have.  My favorite -- that was sugar free -- was their Sunny Paris blend.  The Singapore one was nummy too, I need to go back to buy it.  And once I can have sugar again, I'm going back for a lot of their other spice blends.  An absolutely amazing store, and considering the strength of their spices the prices are really reasonable.  In other words, you don't need to use a lot compared to the big commercially produced stuff. 

Well, that was my weekend and then some.  Sad the Seahawks won't be in the Super Bowl this year.  I was in the office for a few hours yesterday and my boss was watching the game in his, he called me in to watch the last few minutes.  So close!  Oh well, I don't really watch the Super Bowl for the game anyways.  And I'll still be on Whole30 that weekend so I can't have nachos or crab dip either.  Wow, nachos suddenly sound SO GOOD. 

But nowhere near as awesome as this lukewarm black tea without sugar I am having. 

Why yes, that is sarcasm.  How very nice of you to notice. 

Cheers,
the CilleyGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment