Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tuesday is the best day!

I was born on a Tuesday, you know...

Had a great and busy weekend.  The Little Fruit Fly and her Man Friend (who I have now re-dubbed Dr. Suess) came to town to run the Portland Marathon, their very first.  And with a marathon, comes an expo! 

Early Saturday morning we loaded up the car, picked up Kim, and headed downtown to pick up race packets and hopefully free stuff.  Sadly, there wasn't much to be had.  The first guy we stopped at didn't even want to give us an empty plastic bag (no marathon backpacks this year, hmmm).  I guess the Rock 'n Roll expo has ruined me forever for expos.  But we had fun wandering around, chatting, mocking people (and ourselves).  We swung by Red Robin so I could score my free birthday burger and then it was back to the west side to drop off Kim and head south to Corvallis.

Saturday afternoon my Washington State Cougars were playing Fly's Oregon State Beavers, and my boss had generously given me his sweet club seats just a nudge to the right of the 50 yard line.  Regrettably, the game was frequently like the Three Stooges Play Football.  I swear there were three successive interceptions on three successive plays.  My favorite was when we snapped the ball off the running back's ass as he ran by the center to his assignment.  Really?  We actually did way better than we should have. 

Sunday was the marathon!  We all had very little sleep as we hadn't gotten home until 11:00 the night before.  We were out the door by six and headed downtown once again.  Where it seemed that everybody else had realized that Fifth was the way to go.  There wasn't any good place to pull over so I got as close as I could and with the next stoplight they were off.  And so was I.  To go back to bed.  I was back downtown by 12:30 and took up a post in the shade just past the last water stop at mile 26.  I got to cheer on my friend Donna, who had just lost her mom and was running with an angel on her shoulder in memoriam.  I chatted for quite a while with an extremely attractive young man who had finished in about five hours and was waiting for his friend to finish.  He was extremely attractive and very personable and the time went by quickly; we talked for nearly an hour before he decided to head further down the course to look for his friend and stretch his legs.  A few minutes later, Fly and Dr. Suess (I know you're cringing when you read this Kim!) were headed my way.  They crossed the finish line, we picked up bags, got brunch, and went back to my place where they went down for a nap and I sacked out on the couch with my kittens watching Columbo.  As we said our goodbyes later that evening, it was unanimous that we needed to plan a weekend with no running and no races. 

How was your weekend?

the CilleyGirl


  1. I much prefer Dr. Seuss to MF. But, still think he should just be called S.
    Thanks for including me in the festivities. Sorry our respective Washington schools lost to the Oregons this weekend. Great weather for football, though!

  2. My weekend was just plain exhausting ... yet so much fun!!! So much happened, I haven't even thought of what I'll blog about it.

    Thanks for babysitting me and perking me up in time for me to cross the finish line!!!