Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Tough Tuesday Run Followed by Orgasmic Pizza

As you may have seen from yesterday's post, I did do my scheduled three mile run yesterday.  I didn't do it in the morning like I should have.  My dog kept waking me up to go let herself out and then she wouldn't jump back up on the bed.  Which wouldn't be so bad except that means she paces back and forth in my room.  Which also wouldn't be so bad except she's panting like an obscene phone caller the whole time and I just cannot sleep through that!  I have to get up and boot her in the ass coax her to jump up in the bed so we can all go back to sleep. 

Anyhow, one of these incidents coincided with time to get up for the gym but I realized that I would be getting off work early for the dentist so I revised my plans to go to the gym after the dentist.  Luckily I have really great teeth -- my new dentist sounded almost disappointed that I didn't have any issues for him -- so my mouth wasn't sore in the slightest when I went to run.

But everything else was.  And by everything else I mean my legs.  One big cramp they were.  Plus they felt swollen too; maybe all the cankle problems I've read about with all my friends was catching?  And my boobs felt too big.  So it was tough to run.  And I started out at a speedy (for me) pace, even when I was trying to slow down I was still in the 11 minute miles.  Oh, I almost forgot -- it was also stuffy and humid and HOT up on the indoor track and I hadn't used my inhaler before I started so I had a hard time breathing. 

Yet I had a secret weapon.  As I was driving to the gym, I was starting to get hungry and the idea of pizza popped into my mind.  Partly because I wasn't sure if my teeth would be up to gnawing on the steak dinner I had originally planned.  Partly because, hey, pizza.  I made a deal with myself that if I finished my three miles in under 40 minutes I could get pizza for dinner.  That deal came strongly into play during this run; I don't think I would have been able to make myself run more than a half a mile total otherwise. 

I got into a pattern of running two or three laps (ideally three, but it was so hot up there) and then walking one.  I stopped frequently for water breaks.  Around the two mile mark I FINALLY was able to breath and the cramps in my legs started to dissipate.  I think some of that (the legs part) was from Sunday's long-run-out-of-the-blue and part of it was from my shoes maybe being tied too tightly.  I think they shrank a bit initially after being so wet on Sunday.  My legs felt a little better after I loosened my laces, and my shoes felt back to normal after I finished the run.

My finishing time?  I kid you not -- 0:39:59.  Nike+ shows me speeding up over the last half mile or so; I knew if I had any chance of finishing under 40 minutes that I'd have to run all of that, and I did.  I was panting like my obscene phone caller dog when I got back to the locker room; I had to tell this poor stranger woman at the locker down from mine what I'd done. 

And then I went and got a pizza that was so good, it was nearly orgasmic.  And this, my friends, is why we run.

the CilleyGirl

1 comment:

  1. I am insanely hungry after running that ...and wondering why our dogs do the obscene pant. I hate it when I am sleeping and I hear it - usually for Lady it means she has to go potty. But seriously - can't we let me know some other way?

    If I text you this weekend about Darcelle's - it means I am up there again on date number 2! It is still up in the air, and I haven't yet hit him up about Darcelle's. And then that means I'll be getting in a 10 mile run in Portland on Sunday - WITHOUT going on Terwilliger Blvd!

    Sorry about the contagious cankles! *giggles*